The largest pool of leads is always the least qualified, but every one of them is still a potential customer – one that might shop with one of your competitors if you don’t get them first. So, to maximise your marketing funnel conversions and keep your rivals in check, you also want to guide as many of these potential buyers towards the finishing line as possible.

Only 10 percent of the waiting period is defined by the HTML response to browser requests, and the remaining 90 percent of the delay is caused in rendering pages, parsing HTML, executing code scripts and retrieving embedded assets. Website performance overhaul with optimization tools and script tweaks can scrape off sizeable chunks from page load times, but perhaps not as effectively as developing a speed optimized website from scratch. And the latter is more of a marketing strategy, a business decision and slight awareness in avoiding the most common mistakes that can potentially ruin online businesses by killing website performance.

Web traffic and search engine ranking is primarily a vanity metric for website performance. Important as they are, neither is more indicative of online business success than sales figures and conversion rates. Putting things into perspective, ecommerce websites with (almost) zero percent bounce rate, 15 percent conversion rates and 10,000 unique website visitors from low search engine rankings fare far better than high ranking sites enjoying 100,000 unique visits with only 0.01 percent conversion rate.

Norman Newbie owns a software company with ten salespeople and one product. He’s not a very savvy marketer, so his sales process currently involves handing his salespeople lists of leads that he purchased online and having them “dial for dollars.” His salespeople frequently get frustrated since his leads aren’t always good quality. Because they’re usually calling on people who A) aren’t interested in his services and B) are not a good fit for them, the salespeople close less than 1% of the prospects they initially reach out to.
In the consideration phase, a consumer starts to associate you with the solution you offer. This is the time when you want to supply them with content that helps them evaluate you and your products. At this stage, we're speaking directly to the people we think our business can help and making sure they know how we can help them. Remember that they may not yet trust you, so don't put on your sales hat just yet. Instead, consideration content is a great opportunity to make sure it's easy for your visitor to browse all the information that might help them differentiate you from your competitors.
QUOTE: “I don’t think we’d be able to do that from the beginning. That’s a good point though. Maybe we should clarify that somewhere…. But for the most part in the same way that we use speed for desktop I don’t see us doing that in the beginning. That’s something we would like to do in the long run but not in the beginning.” John Mueller, Google Dec 2017
Thanks, awesome article! My business does solve a big problem, but I had never thought to state on the website which problem it solves! Even though I’m passionate about opening with the problem when talking to people, it just didn’t occur to me to put it on the website. This is so timely because I’m making a bunch of changes to my website anyway, so I’ll talk about the problem I solve right away. Thanks for your helpful advice.
There are still opportunities to upsell your offer or to sell more items (if you’re running an ecommerce business). In case you’re selling a month-to-month service, this is the part where you could try to nudge the customer to pre-pay for the whole year with a discounted price. For service-oriented business models, this is the part where you make your high paying offer.
Browsers cache a lot of information (stylesheets, images, JavaScript files, and more) so that when a visitor comes back to your site, the browser doesn't have to reload the entire page. Use a tool like YSlow to see if you already have an expiration date set for your cache. Then set your "expires" header for how long you want that information to be cached. In many cases, unless your site design changes frequently, a year is a reasonable time period. Google has more information about leveraging caching here.
×